Records of the TCU School of Music
The collection includes printed promotional material for student, faculty, and guest artist recitals. Other printed items are brochures and booklets for potential students. Three audio discs of a 1999 performance are included in the holdings. "The Historical Highlights" packet by Dr. Kenneth R. Raessler documents the programs best moments from 1989 to 2000.
- 1989-2013 inclusive, 2012-2013 bulk
Conditions Governing Access
1.6 Linear feet
The records include posters from guest artist, student, and faculty performances. Promotional material and three audio discs from 1999 are also included.
Texas Christian University first offered courses in music in 1910. Students could accumulate ten semester hours of credit or work toward a diploma in music. By 1923, the school formed a well-rounded faculty for classical and church music. The Bachelor of Music was then offered in 1924, as a degree from the College of Arts and Sciences. Professors from various musical backgrounds taught foundational musicianship and technique. Over time, the School of Music formed an orchestra and marching band. In 1967, master piano courses became internationally renowned when TCU invited Lili Kraus as its first artist-in-residence. Since the 1960s, professors and students have held recitals at the university and outside the United States.
Former department chair, Dr. Kenneth Raessler, donated materials in the collection. He served as director of the music department between 1989 and 2001. During his tenure, the school inaugurated the first TCU Summer Music Institute, a twenty-seven week workshop. The department became the first in the history of the Texoma Region of the National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) to have back to back winners of the "top award" as well as "the singer with the most professional potential in 1988-89." In the 1990s, TCU designated the piano area as a "pillar-of-excellence." Aside from developing a nationally recognized program, the School of Music established the first vocal jazz ensemble (Purple, White and Blues), a show choir (The TCU Singers), and the TCU Strolling Strings to perform at social occasions for the University. Under Dr. Raessler's direction, the Department of Music and the School of Music earned a favorable reputation.
Arranged in one series, Records of the TCU School of Music
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Guide to the Records of the TCU School of Music
- Compiled by Miriam E. Villanueva