Records of Phi Beta Kappa
Collection Scope and Content Summary
The records include correspondence, photographs, meeting minutes, and other material documenting the formation and early years of TCU’s Phi Beta Kappa chapter. The records are divided into two series, those of the Phi Beta Kappa Association of Fort Worth and those of TCU’s Delta Chapter. The Delta Chapter records have been separated into president’s papers and general documents. The Phi Beta Kappa Association records and the president’s papers are arranged chronologically, the general documents are arranged alphabetically by type and chronologically within each type.
- Phi Beta Kappa. Delta Chapter. Texas Christian University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Biographical / Historical
he Phi Beta Kappa Society (ΦΒΚ) is the oldest academic honor society in the United States, and is often described as its most prestigious honor society,due to its long history and academic selectivity. Phi Beta Kappa aims to promote and advocate excellence in the liberal arts and sciences, and to induct the most outstanding students of arts and sciences at American colleges and universities. It was founded at the College of William and Mary on December 5, 1776 as the first collegiate Greek-letter fraternity and was among the earliest collegiate fraternal societies.
5.0 Linear feet
Language of Materials
Arranged in two series and one addition: Series I. Phi Beta Kappa Association of Fort Worth 1946-1969; Series II. Phi Beta Kappa, Delta Chapter, 1967-1988; Accession 2010-A-008, 1958-2007.
Vault ED 4 - ED 5
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from Phi Beta Kappa in 1971 and 2010.
- Phi Beta Kappa -- Delta Chapter -- Texas Christian University Subject Source: Local sources
- Texas -- Fort Worth -- Greek Letter societies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Texas Christian University -- Students -- Societies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Records of Phi Beta Kappa
- Compiled by Lisa Peña and Mike Strom
- March 2011
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Mary Couts Burnett Library Repository
TCU Box 298400
2800 S. University Drive
Fort Worth, Texas 76129-0001
Fort Worth Texas 76129
(817) 257-7282 (Fax)