Records of the Greater Southwest International Airport
Identifier: MS 8
The records consist mainly of internal documentation, including financial reports, tax returns, budgets, plans and pictures, correspondence, and memoranda. Of special interest are the documents pertaining to the Civil Aeronautics Board regional airport case. These documents include background data and plans, correspondence, expenses, supplemental exhibits, and testimonies.
- 1947 - 1965
- Greater Southwest International Airport (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is stored offsite. Advance notice is required for retrieval. Contact Special Collections staff.
Terms Governing Use
Collection is open for research. Copyright has not been transferred to Texas Christian University.
Fort Worth’s Greater Southwest International Airport opened in 1953. The airport never reached full operating capacity during its two decades of existence, its use gradually diminishing while air traffic at Dallas Love Field continued to increase. In 1964, the Civil Aeronautics Board ordered Dallas and Fort Worth to reach an agreement on a jointly-operated regional airport. The agreement resulted in Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, which opened in January of 1974 and resulted in the closing of Greater Southwest International.
9.5 Linear feet
Language of Materials
Arranged alphabetically by subject.
- Compiled by Jose Carlos de la Puente, Mike Strom, and Special Collections Staff
- April 2007
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script