Skip to main content

Disciples of Christ Church Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MS 149
This collection contains clippings, photographs, directories, histories, brochures, and other records of Disciples of Christ church congregations in Texas. Many are listed as the city in Texas that correlates to a Disciples of Christ church.

Dates

  • 1898-1968
  • Majority of material found in 1953-1965

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research.

Extent

4.00 Linear feet

Biographical / Historical

The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) is a Protestant denomination of approximately 800,000 members in the United States and Canada. It's one of the largest faith groups founded on American soil. In 1808 Thomas Campbell and others founded the Christian Association of Washington, Pennsylvania. That group adopted the motto "Where the scriptures speak, we speak; where the scriptures are silent, we are silent." Campbell and others were called "reformers" for their desire to restore the Church's first century roots, known as the Restoration Movement.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically by church or city name.

Physical Location

Vault FC 5-6

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Collection compiled by Bob Olson, former Brite Divinity School librarian and transferred to Special Collections on June 12, 2014.
Title
Guide to the Disciples of Christ Church Collection
Author
Lisa Pena
Date
June, 2014

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Mary Couts Burnett Library Repository

Contact:
TCU Box 298400
2800 S. University Drive
Fort Worth, Texas 76129-0001
Fort Worth Texas 76129
(817) 257-7108
(817) 257-7282 (Fax)